Wednesday, August 24, 2011

When favoritism is not really favoritism

August 24, 2011

This afternoon I picked up Maeve from school and took her home. When I got her in the door, I put her down and walked her to my room to get out of my work clothes. As soon as I was changed, she put her arms up toward me, and I picked her up.

I put some music on the ipod and walked her around the house, just chatting with her and pointing out things. At some point I stopped in the living room and just rocked her a bit while we watched a storm approach from outside the window. She snuggled in and we were both very content.

A few minutes later I heard Shawn and Reilly outside. Reilly was crying because of some slight from her gymnastics teacher, and Maeve was very concerned about all the emotion her sister was displaying. While Shawn was explaining the whole incident to me, she reached out her hands for Maeve, but Maeve didn’t budge. This is quite unusual.

I said to Shawn, “Maybe I’ve got a daddy’s girl now?”

Maeve stuck with me for a while, and I enjoyed the attention. I should have known that her unusual attention meant something.

I finally handed Maeve off so that I could get dinner ready, and Shawn gave her a bath. As Shawn got her out of the tub, Maeve began to throw up.

Poor baby.

And poor daddy – she wasn’t and isn’t a daddy’s girl, she was just sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment