Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Christmas Story

When I was in elementary school, the administration would host a little holiday fair every December where the kids could shop for presents for their parents and siblings. Most items were under $5 and included a mishmash of inexpensive and mostly useless knickknacks.

I don’t remember anything I bought for my family, but I do remember feeling very smart and independent as I carefully chose the gifts for my family.

This year, as a first grader, Reilly went "shopping" at her school holiday “store,” where they had gifts for the K-2 graders to purchase for their parents and family. Here's what Reilly bought this year, along with her explanation for each gift:

- Mommy: a packet of chocolate and coffee - "Her favorite food with her favorite drink."

- Daddy: a tool that even has pliers! - "So that daddy can take it with him fishing."

- Grandpa: peanut butter crackers - "So that when he's done building something, he can sit down and have a snack."

- Grandma: strawberry scented bath soap - "Because you know how grandma likes to be clean and healthy."

- Maeve: a towel - "Because she is always pulling down the towels, so now she'll have one of her own so she won't have to pull them down."

No comments:

Post a Comment